Methods of Transportation & Responsibility for Supervision of Children
Children transported to and from school by walking.
- Before school, Apple Child Care is responsible for the children from the time they are signed in to the centre to the time they are dropped off at the school, when the school becomes responsible for the children. The staff will stay at the school until the children go inside he school. Before leaving the school, an Apple Child Care staff member will inform a supervisor at the school that the children have arrived.
- After school, Apple Child Care is responsible for the children from the time they arrive at the designated meeting point at the school to the time they are signed out by a parent/guardian when picked up at the centre.
Child transported to and from school by school bus.
- Before school, Apple Childcare will deliver children to the school bus when the bus arrives. Apple Childcare is responsible for the children from the time they are signed in to the centre to the time they are delivered to the school bus.
- After school, Apple Child Care is will meet the bus and escort children from the bus to the centre. Apple Childcare is responsible for the children from the time they arrive at the bus stop to the time they are signed out by a parent/guardian when picked up at the centre.
*See Missing Child Procedures below for procedures that will be followed in a child does not show up after school.
Communication with Schools
Apple Child Care will establish a relationship with any schools we serve. Schools will be provided with a list of children that attend Apple Child Care. Schools will be informed if the staff is delayed before and/or after school and asked to supervise the children until we arrive.
Safety and Supervision
Children will be continuously supervised during transportation. Safety rules will be developed together with the children. If a child’s behaviour during transportation is consistently problematic and unsafe, parents will be responsible for transporting their child.
Children’s portable information, a first aid kit and a cell phone will be taken along whenever children are transported. At least one staff member with the group will hold valid first aid & CPR certification when children are being transported.
Ratios during Transportation: At minimum, a staff-child ratio of 1:15 for school age children and 1:10 for kindergarten children is maintained while children are transported to and from schools.
Severe Weather Conditions
- Apple Child Care will be open during our operating hours and transport children to and from their respective schools whenever possible. If weather conditions are such that we are unable to walk the children to school, the children will stay at the OSC and parents and the school will be notified.
- In the very unlikely circumstances that weather conditions develop during the day that are so severe that we cannot to the school, we will contact the school to inform them that we are unable to pick up the children. We will go to the school as soon as possible but if we are unable to get to the school, parents will be notified. If parents cannot be reached, emergency contacts will be notified.